Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, March 17, 2006

Another sad visit to the pediatrician

We went for my youngest's 15 mos check-up and his right ear was not good. He is on maintenance antibiotics and awaiting an MRI for his Bells Palsy. We have a visit scheduled to an ear, nose and throat specialist to see about tubes. If the MRI comes back with no brain tumors or abnormalities then he will have a tube placed to drain the gunk behind his right eardrum. Unfortunately, the first visit to the Dr. isn't scheduled until May 11. I'm concerned we can't make it that long without another worsening of the Bells Palsy. Every infection causes more damage to the nerve in his face and more severe residual weakness. The first step is to have Wed's MRI turn out normal and then I guess I'll start constantly calling the specialist hoping for a cancellation so I can move his appt up. What do parents do who have to work?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Bliss said...

Maybe a family physician or other doctor currently treating your son could plead for the need of a quicker emergency visit? Otherwise make sure to let the ENT doctor's office know you would come in for a cancellation on short notice.

Our daughter always had breakthrough ear infections on maintenance doses of antibiotics, especially if it was amoxicillan. She had three sets of tubes from age 1 (one tube is still in place at age 13) and they did help immensely. Besides allowing draining, you can put drops directly in the infected ear which lessens the amount of oral antibiotics they have to take.

Sending good thoughts your way.

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Dani said...

Bliss has the right idea with communicating the urgency of the appointment and your flexability for cancellations etc... and perhaps you might ask the pediatrician for a different referal if this one is backed up that long?

Sending lots of healthy comforting thoughts your families way!

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home